How to Get Benefits for Your Disabled Child

Having a child with disabilities brings an added number of responsibilities onto a parent. Anything that can relieve you as a parent whether that is financial or emotional support should be taken advantage of. The government has made SSI and SSDI resources available to support you and your adult disabled child.

Here’s what you need to know to get SSDI benefits:

It’s important to note that your child’s benefits depend upon you or your child’s other parent’s social security earnings. This is because SSDI is a benefit to those who pay taxes. Here are some other qualifications:

  • Became disabled before his or her 22nd birthday
  • 18 years or older
  • Not married
  • One parent has begun to receive Social Security retirement or disability benefits or has a parent with a qualifying work history who died
  • Your child’s disability prevents them from “substantial gainful activity”

Common Questions

What if my child is married?

The only way your child can get benefits is if it is a “protected” marriage. This means both husband and wife are eligible for Social Security disability benefits.

Can my child work?

If your child meets all the aforementioned requirements having a job won’t affect his or her benefits.

How much will my child receive?

Depending on how many family members are getting benefits from that parent’s work record it could be up to 50% or the parent’s benefit amount.

Related Posts: ADHD & Your Disability Benefits

Here’s what you need to know to get SSI benefits:

If your child meets the SSA’s definition of disabled, can’t get benefits on your Social Security record, and meets the income limit then he or she could be approved for SSI.

Income & Asset Limits

Your child can’t earn more than the “federal benefit rate” which is $733 for 2016.

Here’s what doesn’t get counted into that amount:

  • First $20 of any source of money
  • First $65 earned from a job, plus half of what is leftover
  • Value of food stamps
  • Small and varying amounts of money
  • Medical bills you or another person paid on the child’s behalf

Quick tip: What your child owns cannot exceed $2,000.

You can begin an online application for SSDI and make an appointment with your local field office to apply for SSI.

Hopefully, this has relieved some of the pressure on you as a parent and will help financially as well. Please let the Kenneth G Marks Law Firm know how we can help, fill out the form below and we will contact you.

Call or Email for a FREE Consultation
Phone: 949.543.1899
Toll Free: 855.748.6470

Kenneth G. Marks has been practicing personal injury law since he was admitted to the California Bar in 1981.